Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On Being Thankful...

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.
-- Albert Schweitzer





This Thanksgiving, I am reminded of all the people in my life who rekindle my light, when I find myself in need of a spark.   Life presents me with many challenges, and honestly, I don't expect that to change. But - I find strength and joy in faith, love, family and friends. My children are such a huge blessing and challenge for which I will be eternally grateful, even on those days when they drive me to drink.


I am thankful for the lessons learned and the experience gained, and for the opportunities I have to share these gifts with others.


Finally, I am thankful that I found a partner, husband, best friend to share all of this craziness with.    This song (from The Wedding Singer), pretty much sums up how Joe makes me feel safe, supported and loved.  Uncle Chris played this song as part of our wedding festivities back in 1998, and it makes us smile whenever we hear it.


I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad 
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad 
All I wanna do is grow old with you. 
I'll get your medicine when your tummy aches. 
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks 
Oh it could be so nice, growin old with you. 
I'll miss you, kiss you, give you my coat when you are cold. 
Need you, feed you, and even let you hold the remote control. 
So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink 
Put you to bed when you've had too much to drink. 
Oh I could be the man who grows old with you. 

I'll miss you, kiss you, take your shoes off and rub your feet.
Need you, feed you, and when we play checkers i'll let you cheat.
So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink 
Put you to bed when you've had too much to drink. 
Oh I could be the one who grows old with you. 
I wanna grow old with you. 



(by Robbie Hart/Adam Sandler)

No comments:

Post a Comment