Tuesday, November 23, 2010

New Aiport Screenings... Things that make me go Hmmmm

I have been reading a lot about the new airport screening procedures, particularly as they relate to children with autism and other disabilities. While it seems that things are going relatively smoothly for most travelers, this is not the case everywhere. There are (legitimate) reports of children being separated from parents, people not being allowed the choice to use (or not) the new bodyscanners and forced to submit to some pretty invasive pat downs, etc. There are reports of abuse and also those of flat out stupidity, both by TSO's and by travelers.

I do have some concerns about the screenings as they relate specifically to those with autism. First, many individuals with autism will not be able to be successfully scanned using the new bodyscanners due the inability to remain still long enough, sensory issues, anxiety, etc. These individuals, therefore, will be subjected to the new pat downs, with some modification for children under 12. What happens when a person with autism that does not tolerate being touched needs a pat down? These situations can easily lead to a meltdown, including combative behavior, on the part of the individual with autism. I don't think it is realistic to think that there will often be TSO's who will be adequately knowledgeable and trained to handle such situations. This is not going to be pretty, and folks aren't always going to understand that the person is acting out due to their disability and not because they are a jackass. Hang on to your hats, traveling public – this could get mighty interesting.

And, disabilities aside, are the TSO's being adequately screened and trained to perform these much more “intimate” pat downs? Are they being checked against sex offender registries, etc? Are they aware of how to be sensitive and appropriately careful when dealing with prosthetics, insulin pumps, catheters, etc? I have read that in some cases, due to lack of time and manpower, these TSO's were told to sign off on training that they didn't actually receive. Does this give anyone else pause, or is it just me?

I am all for safety measures, don't get me wrong. I don't really care if someone sees my “naked” bodyscan to confirm that I don't have a weapon or other contraband. Now, random adults viewing my childrens' naked scans – that gives me a little more trouble, but I guess we will cross that bridge as we get there. Hopefully, by the time we travel as a family in the summer, these new security procedures will be smoothed out a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment