Thursday, October 1, 2009

Baseball and other stuff...

Corey had his first baseball game of the fall season and had a great time. I have said it before, but it is worth saying again - the Miracle League is amazing. From the adults who put it together to the older kids ("Buddies") who help our kids on and off the field. We feel so blessed.

It is so wonderful to see Corey enjoying himself doing things like baseball and being social with other kids, peers and both younger and older kids. Autism puts up barriers for Corey, but I can see him climbing over them each and every day - he is a wonder. It is funny to say, but I am thrilled that he is talking back to me at times now - he has the language to do so, and the confidence. Last night, it was Mia's turn to choose a movie to watch, and Corey was frustrated because he had something different in mind - I said to him "Its ok..." and he interrupted to inform me, firmly, "Its NOT ok!" LOL. Earlier yesterday, he was playing on his computer in his bedroom upstairs, and all of the sudden we heard him reprimanding the dog. He came down to get me, and also to make sure Samantha went downstairs. I asked him what happened, fully expecting to have to mostly figure it out for myself... He took me upstairs and told me that Sam should not bite/mouth the pillow... And then he showed me which pillow and that he had moved a stuffed animal off the top bunk and onto his dresser so Sam couldn't get to it. This is such a great step for Corey - not only did he want to explain it to me himself, but he did so in a clear manner. This is not an easy task for a child with autism and processing difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment